02 January 2012

Small and Wonderful



Oliver Joseph Gough
December 7, 2011
12:25 a.m.



D&C 64:33-34:

Wherefore, be not weary in well-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of small things proceedeth that which is great.

Behold, the Lord requireth the heart and a willing mind; and the willing and obedient shall eat the good of the land of Zion in these last days.

I've been pondering this scripture lately and its many applications.  Recently I've thought upon how it relates to the miracle of pregnancy and birth.  Over the past eight months I would respond without hesitation to the question of how pregnancy was treating me by expressing how things were going well and how it was difficult to believe there was actually a baby growing inside my belly.  Understandably, most people appeared reluctant to believe me, but I truly felt this way - although not because I didn't have any complaints as I'm sure my husband could attest to very well. My response lacked clarity in expressing my exact situation, however it was the best way I could think of to describe in words how I felt about the situation I was experiencing - one in which I never failed to see, in my mind, as the miracle of pregnancy and birth. 

The gestation process that occurs over nine months seems relatively benign without the insight that modern medicine provides.  Without going into obvious detail, you do what couples have been doing since the beginning of time, you begin to feel ill (for three months or more), you gain weight and the discomforts that go along with that, you feel movement inside of you (which is pretty miraculous), and eventually you begin contracting and start the birthing process. And then BAM! All of a sudden there's another living being in the world!

Being pregnant was exhausting and there were definite times of hardship, but each day when I took a bite to eat or laid my head down to rest I knew I was laying a foundation of a great work.  Such small everyday things lead to something, someone so incredibly miraculous and wonderful!  There are times where these small everyday things don't have the desired outcome, but it makes me believe even more fully that bringing children into this world is a joint effort between husband, wife, and our Heavenly Father.  And John and I are so very grateful for the opportunity to have little Oliver as a part of our family.

I'd like to write out my birth story to keep a record for myself - to not forget the details.  But I feel like it warrants a separate post.  So that will be forthcoming if TMI isn't an issue.

1 comments:

Michelle Glauser said...

What a thoughtful post. I remember being surprised when Amy told me years before she got married that she wanted to eat healthy and be strong so that she could give her kids the best entrance into the world possible. I guess she, too, was laying a foundation of a great work. Though I don't really think about that when I eat or exercise, maybe I should. I'm so glad you have Oliver and that the process was a beautiful and fascinating experience to you. I can't wait to hear the whole story, and no, TMI is no issue for me.